Warning: This post is photo-heavy!
Happy Wednesday! Today, I have a different kind of post for you. A couple weeks ago, I spent the majority of my free time putting together an anniversary present for my boyfriend. It’s been five years and I wanted to do something special, even with a severe lack of funds. I photographed each step along the way to share with you.
For this, I grabbed two canvases, a box of acrylic paint, and a cheap set up brushes. Had I not been on such a budget crunch, I would have splurged more on the brushes. However, they were in my price range and they did the job. I hadn’t made my decision on the canvases, but these came in a two-pack that was 50% at Michael’s, so I ended up with two 24″x12″ canvases. Then came the sketching. I made drew out two boxes to scale, printed a STAR WARS logo, and sketched them on, just to see how I would have to measure.
Then came prepping the canvas. I decided to keep the texture, so all I did was graph out the straight lines and “trace” the logo. As soon as that was done, I prepped for painting. I set up a fold-away table in the spare room so I would be able to leave the project out for as long as it took to finish (a week). I taped a large garbage bag to the table to keep it from moving, then grabbed the paints, a palette, a cup of water, and my computer. (I listened to a lot of YouTube videos through this entire thing.)
I started with the background, mixing together a dark navy blue. I did large brush strokes to cover most of it, then when that was dry I began detailing the letters. Then, using a brighter blue and purple, I added in texture to make it appear as faraway galaxies. Once that was done, I took some white paint, thinned it out with a lot of water, then flecked it over the whole thing to add in some stars.
Once the background was dry, it was time to start the silhouettes. With the help of a friend, I picked out the characters that would represent the three movie trilogies, lined them up in the order I wanted them in, then found their heights and iconic poses. The entire STAR WARS franchise works in meters and I was able to find this really helpful banner that was released in Japan when pre-ordering the movie tickets. From there, I measured out a simple scale (two inches = one meter) and sketched out the silhouettes.
At first, I was worried you wouldn’t be able to see them, so I tried to add in a glow-effect around the letters. After that was a total fail, I mixed up a gray and went from there. Also — look at Yoda! I’m super proud of my Yoda. I think he turned out the best.
From there, it was just filling in the letters with yellow and painting in the lightsabers. If I were to do this again, I would have definitely painted the letters first. I originally decided not to because I didn’t want to chance leaving pencil marks on yellow paint, but that actually was much easier to deal with than painting around all those figures! I now know for next time. (If there even will be a next time.)
And I was done! It was a huge project, took much longer than I anticipated, and I love it. More importantly, he loved it and is absolutely ecstatic. One last step I did but didn’t photograph was sealing it. We grabbed a matte sealer to protect the paint and sprayed that with a couple coats. It definitely made a difference, but I unfortunately don’t have any photos of it.
Let me know what you think!